What is Common App? Each year, more than 1 million students apply to more than 900 CommonApp member colleges worldwide through this online college application platform.
Common App has announced the 2021-2022 essay prompts. Why have they shared the essay prompts so early before the next application cycle? On the one hand, families are curious. Rising seniors or Grade 11 students want to know what they’ll be asked to write about, and counselors and teachers want to make sure they are prepared to guide their students. This gives them time to understand and plan ahead. On the other hand, releasing the prompts can send a tacit message that the college application process starts now. In my opinion, it does. In fact, the moment you entered high school (Grade 9), your process had already begun.
Start thinking about these now!
Below is the full set of Common App essay prompts for 2021-2022.
- Some students have a background, identity, interest, or talent that is so meaningful they believe their application would be incomplete without it. If this sounds like you, then please share your story.
- The lessons we take from obstacles we encounter can be fundamental to later success. Recount a time when you faced a challenge, setback, or failure. How did it affect you, and what did you learn from the experience?
- Reflect on a time when you questioned or challenged a belief or idea. What prompted your thinking? What was the outcome?
- Reflect on something that someone has done for you that has made you happy or thankful in a surprising way. How has this gratitude affected or motivated you?
- Discuss an accomplishment, event, or realization that sparked a period of personal growth and a new understanding of yourself or others.
- Describe a topic, idea, or concept you find so engaging that it makes you lose all track of time. Why does it captivate you? What or who do you turn to when you want to learn more?
- Share an essay on any topic of your choice. It can be one you’ve already written, one that responds to a different prompt, or one of your own design.
Contact a Summit Mentor to talk you through your college essay prompts. Our team has the best talent and expertise that can help you write a standout essay! Contact us here!